Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Book Review: Indian Bead Weaving Patterns by Horace R. Goodhue

I can truly say that there is one book that has impacted my bead work more than any other, and that book is Indian Bead Weaving Patterns, by Horace R. Goodhue.

When I started beading as a way to make extra money, this book was the first one I bought.  At the time it was out of print and I lived in Staten Island.  I remember getting on the ferry and riding into Manhattan where I had it shipped to a Barnes and Noble store.  When I arrived they couldn't find the book!!!! After they realized I wasn't leaving, they got several staff members and they finally found what I consider to be the bible of bead work!

This is the first book that got me thinking about making my own patterns.  In it Mr. Goodhue draws out patterns which is how I design my jewelry today.  For example the page below is how he explains the Ogalala Butterfly stitch.
The book is also rich in history as well.  You can tell by reading it, which I have done several times, that Mr. Goodhue was entrenched in the Native American culture.  During the summer months he and his wife traveled throughout the country visiting Native American communities.  He learned traditional stitches and then began to teach workshops and classes.  The book includes an informational essay written by him entitled, "Beads"  It is a brief history of beads and there connection with Native American culture.

You can find this book online at http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Bead-Weaving-Patterns-Chain-Weaving-How/dp/0961350318.

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment