Thursday, February 7, 2013

Tools and Things February 7, 2013

It is hard to believe that I have been beading for over 20 some odd years now! 

I feel like beading is one of those things that you never really know everything.  The minute you think you got all the stitches down, something new comes along or your brain allows you to think of something that really shakes things up!!!!

Since I have been beading as long as I have, I have collected over the years an assortment of tools which have helped me during my journey.  I think that each week I will pick one of those tools and let you know how it benefited me in my beading quest.

So, first up I've decided to review Wubbers Looping Pliers!


 
I come from the world of bead weaving, but every now and then, and that time is coming soon, I have a project which involves wire and making loops.  I hate making loops!  They never seem to come out perfect when I free hand them, and I love symmetry and perfection too much to create anything less.  With that said theWubbers Looping Pliers get you as close to perfection as your gonna get!

Here are some things you should know about them.
  • They are a little over 5 inches and the handle feels comfortable to the hand.  It is soft and easy to handle, especially for someone like me who has small hands.
  • They were specifically designed to wrap loops and to make eye pins.
  • These wire loopers consist of 1 round jaw and 1 curved jaw.  I know I have seen some out there with more than one sized jaw, but through the years I have realized that I have only really used or needed 1 size.  Not saying that you wouldn't need another, but for eye pins and wrapped looped you usually just need one size. 
  • They grip tightly without making grooves or ridges in the wire.
  • 20 gauge wire is best to use with this tool.  A few times I tried 18 gauge and it almost destroyed the tool by stretching the 2 jaws apart a little. 20 gauge dead soft or artistic wire is best. 
  • Unfortunately, practice is still needed, but the result that is achieved is best, and it still was not as long as the practice I needed when I was trying to free hand them ( I still can't do it!!!).  Practice on cheap wire until you have developed a system for yourself.  I'm a lefty so everything works differently when I do it!


The above video shows how they work.  Let me know what you think and if you have used them before what are your thoughts on them.

Happy Beading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Feith...I have this tool in my inventory but have never used it...

    ReplyDelete