Monday, February 25, 2013

Challenge: Wire Wrapped Rings

A few weeks ago someone on my Bead Chat group, hosted by Aunties Beads, introduced a video tutorial on wire rings.

Given my history with wire work I was a bit (well, a lot) intimidated.  I was impressed with what everyone was coming up with so I decided to give it a try.  I went down into the bead district to get the additional tools I needed.  You will need a bead mandrel, some 20 gauge wire, round nose pliers, flat nose pliers, wire cutters, plastic and rubber jewelers hammer,  and of course, some crystals or stones to wrap.

The first 3 or 4 attempts were not so great.  But after the 5th try there was a spark of hope!  By the time I had done 10 rings I got the hang of it!  So then I cut apart everything I did and started again.

I also started looking at other tutorials and getting different ideas to make them tighter and found that using a mallet with a rubber handle helps to tighten and harden them.

Now I have these beauties to wear!!!

It's very therapeutic making them!!! Love pulling the wire tight and coiling the wire on the sides!!!  Next I will try a few with gemstones. 

If you would like to challenge your self see the videos below and start wire working!



If these don't work for your personal learning style, go to you tube.  There are several there that you can look at.  I could not find the one that used the rubber mallet, but it did help to harden the wire and and make it look more uniform when I was shaping it.

Happy Beading!

No comments:

Post a Comment